Disability Information Advice and Support (DIAS)
Vaka Tautua provides information, advice and support in all areas of a Pacific disabled person’s life, from accessing equipment, building ramps, dispelling negative belief systems and accessing financial support.
Aims of service:
• Enhance the health and wellbeing of Pacific disabled people
• Empower Pacific disabled people to become strong and independent in being able to identify and access health and other related services
• Build a strong individualised belief that ‘we are able’
The Pacific disability team (Disability Information Advice and Support services) is made up of Pacific community leaders who have a disability, or know / have a loved one with a disability. The team is linked closely with fanau and the wider Pacific community, to provide support, information and advice to Pacific communities, disabled people and their families, and other service providers.
Criteria for referral:
Referrals to the DIAS service are predominantly from Taikura the Needs Assessment Support Centre (NASC), and from other sources as well. Eligible service users will have been diagnosed with some form of disability.
Access this service:
• Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch – contact the Vaka Tautua office nearest you
• Outside these areas - contact us on 0800 825 282 where you will be directed automatically to the Vaka Tautua team located nearest to you